Kaybray's Cooking

What we threw on the plate today

Monday, November 27, 2006

Woohoo! More Shrimp!


Still using up this shrimp I was given. Yay! Last night we had quick and easy spicy shrimp with spaghetti in a chunky tomato sauce, along with some garlic bread.

olive oil
1/2 medium onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tspn red pepper flakes
2 medium cans diced tomatoes
2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
1 tspn dried oregano
salt

1/2 lb dried spaghetti

10 medium shrimp, fresh or frozen, peeled and deveined

In a large skillet, heat 1-2 tbsp oil. Saute garlic, onion and pepper flakes over medium to medium low heat - don't burn the garlic! Cook until onion is soft. Add tomatoes, herbs and black pepper. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for approximately 30-35 minutes, stirring occassionally.

Meanwhile, cook spaghetti in boiling salted water.

When pasta is just shy of al dente, add shrimp to tomato sauce. Stir gently and cook until shrimp is pink - about 5 minutes. Add salt to taste.

When pasta is cooked through, drain and transfer to large bowl. Pour sauce over top of pasta and toss. Serves about 3, or 2 with leftovers.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 7:31 AM, Blogger kaybray said...

Good question. If I store the shrimp in my fridge, I feel comfortbale using up to 3 days. If I freeze it, it can be used for a couple of months, though I don't really like to do that. This shrimp that I have been using over the last week was given to me frozen, and I have been trying to get through it rather quickly. What you don't want to do is have frozen shrimp, thaw it, then refreeze it - that creates great conditions for food-bourne illnesses (what most people call food poisoning). In the end, I try to follow a few rules: fresh is always better than frozen; buy fresh the day you are going to use it if possible, otherwise the 3-day rule; use up frozen as quick as possible; and smell it - if it smells off, toss it. Not worth getting sick.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home