Kaybray's Cooking

What we threw on the plate today

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Black Bean Soup


Mmmm, soaked a bag of black beans overnight. The next afternoon i drained them, and poured in 4 cups of chicken stock, one diced onion, dash of cayenne, 1-2 tablespoons of cumin (I like more than more people, so use your judgment), salt, pepper, and a can of diced tomatoes. Cooked this for about an hour and a half, until the beans were cooked through. I served this with diced onion and shredded cheddar. Usually I top it with sour cream, but we were out. Still yummy.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 10:07 AM, Blogger kaybray said...

Hey Chuck, I sure do. Usually I use andouille, chorizo or kielbasa. I would slice it and saute it separately from the soup, and then add it in when you add in the tomatoes.

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger kaybray said...

Sarah, you can definitely use canned beans for black bean soup. The main reasons I prefer to use dried are that one, they are SO MUCH cheaper, and two, I can begin adding flavor to the bean so much sooner in the process.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home