Kaybray's Cooking

What we threw on the plate today

Monday, July 03, 2006

There just aren't enough meats on sticks


So I finally got to meet my friend Elizabeth's fiance Garrett when they came over for dinner the other night. For the special occasion, I made the kefta and zucchini kebabs from the Epicurious website. I also added a couple of cherry tomato kebabs, which were marinated in the zucchini marinade (lemon, salt, pepper, olive oil, sugar). The lamb was really outstanding - ground lamb mixed with cayenne, cinnamon, minced parsley & cilantro, allspice, minced onion, salt and pepper. And a tasty yogurt dip, for which I doubled the amount of garlic. Really tasty meatballs. The zucchini and tomato were good to have on the side, but I didn't think the marinade added a lot of flavor. Also had a good loaf of crusty bread and a bowl of calamata olives. For dessert, since we are swimming in peaches right now, we had the Peach Tatin from the Food and Wine website. Now, I love this recipe, which I've made several times before, but it didn't turn out as well as it has before - primarily because of the time delusion I was suffering from. I didn't cook it for close to the time needed, so the puff pastry just didn't get a chance to really do its thing. Oh well. Also, the corn syrup got a little too dark, though I don't think that really affected its taste. Still, it was a wonderful night. And it took me a while to recover and write about it in part because of the three bottles of hearty red wine we had with the meal. Yum. (that may have played a role in the time delusion.) And we liked Garrett too!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home