Kaybray's Cooking

What we threw on the plate today

Friday, September 01, 2006

Spending in order to save


In an effort to use up food we already have I sometimes find myself spending more than I should. Well, it wasn't crazy, but lamb is probably an expense that wasn't necessary. But it's just so damn good. Last night, in an effort to use up some tomatoes and feta, I made a lamb, feta, and tomato baked pasta dish. Also, any chance to use some of the mint that just grows and grows in the garden is an opportunity I can't pass up. Drew made a roux, then added crumbled feta. In a lasagna dish, I tossed the creamy mixture with halved red and yellow cherry tomatoes, small pasta shells, minced fresh mint, and some homemade lamb meatballs (1 lb ground lamb, 1/2 tspn each of allspice, ground clove, cayenne pepper, salty and black pepper, and 1/4 cup bread crumbs, 3 minced garlic cloves). I baked the dish at 425F for about 30 minutes, when the pasta started to brown a little on top. It tasted very good. I would have liked it a little bit creamier, and may next time add some mozzerella to the creamy mixture, but Drew said he wouldn't change a thing.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home