Kaybray's Cooking

What we threw on the plate today

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

1st try on a spinach experiment


Two days ago I cooked a pork shoulder that had been deboned, butterflied, rubbed with onions, garlic, fennel, salt, pepper, rolled up and tied with string. After a few hours in the oven it was crispy on the outside and delicious on the inside. I sliced it and put it on ciabatta bread. On the side I served pickled red onions: sliced a large red onion, put it in a jar, sprinkled some peppercorns over the top, and filled the jar with apple cider vinegar.

Also, my spinach experiment. I wanted to make some sort of spinach cakes. I sauteed some minced onion and garlic, then added some thawed chopped frozen spinach, and cooked it for just a few minutes. In a bowl I mixed mascarpone cheese with the juice of one lemon, salt and pepper. I mixed this with the spnach and formed little patties out of the mixture. I coated the patties in homemade bread crumbs. Then I put them in the fridge to solidify a little. A couple of hours later, I pulled them out and fried them in vegetable oil. Unfortunately, they fell apart a little in the oil. However, they did taste pretty good. Couple of thoughts about next time: Instead of just doing breadcrumbs, I could try a flour, egg, breadcrumbs thing. Also, I could try freezing them before frying them, or refrigerating or freezing them before coating them in the breadcrumbs. Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them, because I am going to try this concept again.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home